ALGA PRIVACY STATEMENT
Personal information collected by the Australian Local Government Association (ALGA) website is treated as confidential and is protected by the Privacy Act 1988. Personal information is information relating to an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion provided.
Site visit data
When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged. The following information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used by ALGA to help improve the site. The following information is supplied by your browser:
- the user's server address
- the user's operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc)
- the user's top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au etc)
- the date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- the previous site visited
- the type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where police may exercise a warrant to inspect the internet service provider's logs.
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you provided it
- it will not be added to a mailing list
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose
- we will not disclose it without your consent except where ALGA may be required by law to disclose certain information.
Should you decide to use an online form, such as event registration:
- we will record your name, e-mail address, street address, telephone number, occupation, company and details you provide regarding the matter
- we will only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- the information will not be added to a mailing list
- we will not disclose this information without your consent except where ALGA may be required by law to disclose certain information.
We will, at your request, provide you with access to any information which we have collected about you through this website in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 6, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). To gain access to this information you should contact us. If you believe that any information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us and we will revise the relevant information in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 7, Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
A cookie is a text string that is included with Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) requests and responses. Cookies are used to maintain state information as you navigate different pages on a web site or return to the web site at a later time. Cookies cannot be used to execute code (run programs) or deliver viruses to your computer.
Persistent vs. session cookies
Cookies are either stored in memory (session cookies) or placed on your hard disk (persistent cookies). The ALGA website does not use persistent cookies.
Security of information
Your personal information will not be released unless the law requires or permits it or your permission is given. We provide a secure environment and a reliable system but you should be aware that there may be inherent risks associated with the transmission of information via the internet. For those who do not wish to use the internet, ALGA provides alternative ways of obtaining and providing information.
Who to contact
The ALGA contact on website privacy matters is: